Have been the topics du jour in my classes this week. My poverty class is putting together a small Peoples Movement Assembly on poverty next month at Portland State, so I have been thinking a lot about poverty.
Homelessness is one of the many frustrating facets of it which are immediately apparent, particularly for me here in Portland. They make fun of the “gutterpunks” and the panhandlers on “Portlandia,” but rarely do you see the REAL inequities and injustices without being here. I watch people a lot on the trains and at the stops and just downtown in general; most people avert their eyes as if not looking at the homeless will make them go away. Shameful.
I read a pretty resonant blog today that I would like to share with you:
I encourage you all to remember that poverty is a human issue, not a poor issue. It is systemic. It is RAMPANT in the United States, despite what we may want the world to believe.
Don’t turn away. If you have nothing to give, you are dead. Sometimes just a smile can change someone’s world. Energy is cyclic.
- Cartier makes beautiful commercials.
- Political issues worldwide and in Syria are going to make me unable to afford gas. I should fill up today.
- I am taking a waiver exam and hope it makes it so I don’t have to take stats again.
- I am applying for a magical internship and want it soooo bad.
- My arm is molting and I like it.
- I have an insatiable desire to shout “Ca-Cao” the next time I engage in coitus.
- I heart the big bang theory.
- My car is making an interesting noise in the front end driver’s side. I believe it may be a brake pad, but my super fab kids have suggested: rock in the caliper, hubcap rub, u-joint and bad brakes. They rock.
- Dru from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is not nearly as beautiful as I remember, but Spike is. Also, I still get pumped every time I hear the theme song.
- I bought a baby gate to keep my attachment disordered dog away from the door when we are trying to sleep and he learned how to jump over it. Bastard.
- I want my back to look like Christina Aquilera’s in “Burlesque.”
- I have my whole first routine figured out for when I am a Burlesque dancer, now I just need to get to a point I am comfortable doing it in front of people.
- I went to Lacey, Washington yesterday and I believe that I would like it there or Olympia better. Just saying.
- I am about to take finals for my first term at this new school and I feel good about it.
- I think that Jack White, Johnny Depp and I could have made sweet music and babies together.
- There are 3 places open on my culdesac and only one set of less than lovely neighbors. I hope we get 3 good households, not more partiers. Especially since one of them will be right next to moi.
- Working out with Tracy Anderson videos makes me feel like a seizing hippo ballerina.
- Earthquake in San Fran area…precursor?
I guess that’s all. Carry on. Wish me luck. Happy thoughts!