Once upon a time, I would do a wrap up “I have learned” type deal every season/school year/end of summer. Now I maybe get one done once a year, just to take stock and evaluate my personal evolution, growth and to check things off my bucket list. This summer, I have done a few items from each of the previous list and I share (albeit some of them vaguely) with you…
- I’m back in therapy and the water is good. I have decided to continue working on myself with the aid of a seemingly objective second party. While I enjoy having someone to bounce things off, it’s both alarming and comforting to have found a therapist that reads me a little too well.
- I managed to not get divorced during a period in my relationship in which every fiber of my being said ‘RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!’ That may sound like a silly thing to be proud of, but given my track record and the fact that I am the common denominator in all of my relationships, this is HUGE.
- I have conquered most of my irrational fears about public transportation and embraced my logical and rational fears about it.
- I am participating in a practicum, have enrolled in or have taken classes that I previously had no interest in or didn’t want to take because of how uncomfortable they make me. Wahoo! Growth! “real learning begins when we leave our comfort zone….”
- In re: #2, I had reached my critical mass which is also usually an indicator that a divorce is imminent. However, I have managed to cut weight without cutting the relationship. That is fu**ing amazing.
- I ran/walked/died throughout an entire 5k on the hottest day of the year. ‘Nuff said.
- I spoke in front of a group and didn’t die.
- I learned that I can eat meat and lose weight.
- I learned that I can NOT eat cheese and bread and NOT die.
- I have reestablished one of the most important relationships in my whole life, while seeming to lose dependence on another one….this is still being reconciled within.
- I have written more poetry this summer than in the previous 5.
- I have stayed committed to this blog.
I am sure that there are more and I am sure they are much more interesting to me than to you, but maybe something up there can inspire you to change something simple in your world in the quest for a moment of happiness.
“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”